This easy vegetable fried rice is fluffy, aromatic, light, healthy and packs so much flavor. If you need a fried rice recipe that you can finish from scratch within 15 minutes this would be it.
There were so many requests to share my vegetable fried rice recipe when I shared my fried rice reel on my Instagram feed. So many of you have liked it and reshared it. So, I thought of sharing my full recipe I used in that reel as a post.
My previous post about Sri Lankan rice dishes includes another version of a fried rice and is one of most popular posts in my web-blog for a long time. I hope this one will be well liked too.
How do you make an easy vegetable fried rice at home but make it taste exactly like you would have in the restaurant? It does not take herculean effort. Dice up some vegetables you have in hand, fire up the stove, heat the wok to smoking hot and let’s get cooking. Here are some things you need to be mindful of first for the best results.
What vegetables are good for making vegetable fried rice ?
You could choose to use any type of vegetable you like if they have a mild flavor, and do not release a lot of water when cooking or become overly soft or soggy. My favorite vegetables for making vegetable fried rice are bell peppers, green beans, carrot, and Bok choy. I use quite a bit of onions for the flavor, but you could omit this if you prefer.
Sometimes you could also add pre air fried or grilled eggplant slices, cashews, or mushrooms as a garnish after cooking your vegetable fried rice. They would have to be cooked separately and added just before serving.
Choice of rice for making best vegetable fried rice
Fluffy but firm cooked basmati rice is my favorite choice for making fried rice. You could certainly go with any white rice while making a good fried rice but for the vegetable version I love simple turmeric rice made from basmati. Fresh flavor and aroma of infused turmeric and pandan leaves just highlight flavors of vegetable and sweetness from them so much.
Turmeric rice is easy to make and not intimidating at all. It is different from the stand-alone turmeric rice I have shared before. Cook the basmati rice with a half a teaspoon of turmeric, salt and 4 or 5 dried pandan leaves in the same pot to make my version of vegetable fried rice. Once cooked turn the rice over to a platter and spread it out to let the steam escape and cool the rice down. It will help to keep your rice from becoming soggy.
This is my recipe of how I make vegetable fried rice
If you ever decide to make this recipe, send me a picture to my Facebook.
Easy vegetable fried rice
- 3 cups of cooked turmeric rice
- ½ cup of diced carrots
- ½ cup of green Boc choy thinly sliced
- ½ cup of green bell pepper
- ½ cup of yellow bell pepper
- ¼ Boc choy tender stems optional
- 5 shitake mushrooms sliced thinly
- ¼ cup of red onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic finely minced
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
- one teaspoon of fish sauce
- ¼ tsp crushed black pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoon of coconut oil
- Heat coconut oil in wok on high flame. When the oil starts smoking, fry onions, and carrots.
- When the onions are soft and caramelized on the edges and carrots begin to get soft add peppers. Cook for few seconds until just wilted, add diced stems of Boc choy and fry for another few seconds. Add salt and mix well.
- Add rice and start tossing vegetables with rice, on high. vegetables will continue to cook while rice will get warm and toasty.
- Mix soya sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil together and add to the rice. Toss well to combine. Sprinkle the green shredded leeks on top and mix. turn the heat off.
- Soak shitake mushrooms well, drain rinse and squeeze as much water out as possible. Fry sliced shitake mushrooms with a little salt, soy sauce and garlic powder until golden. Garnish the rice with them.
- Enjoy with your favorite meat curry and a fried egg. It's good on its own too !