I love to add blanched and toasted cashews to my chili Brussels sprouts for the extra crunch and flavor it provides. It gives extra body to this humble yet my favorite winter vegetable. Cashews also help mellow down the heat from crushed red peppers.
What else makes my version of chili Brussels sprouts special? I think adding fried anchovies and Sri Lankan style curry spices make this chili Brussels sprout version one of a kind aromatic and flavorful. Not only do they go together very well but it is a much healthier alternative.
How to prepare anchovies and cashews for chili Brussels sprouts
Dried anchovies work like bacon and add much needed salty crunch to my version of chili Brussels sprouts. Because anchovies might become softer if they absorb too much water from the sprouts, only add fried anchovies just before finishing the dish.
Without further delay let’s get cooking.
Easy Chili Brussels Sprouts
- 3 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 5 dry red cayenne peppers crushed less if you like it less spicy
- Cup of dried anchovies
- 2 cups of cashews
- One and half red onion sliced
- Ginger garlic tablespoon each
- 3 green chilies sliced
- 5 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp crushed whole coriander
- 2 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp crushed fennel seeds
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp mustard seed
- Clean and deep fry dried anchovies and set aside to drain.
- Boil a pot of water with pinch of salt, turmeric, dried mango powder, onion powder to make a stock. Boil cashews until soft yet still firm. Drain and set aside.
- Wash and cut Brussels sprouts into quarters.
- Slice one red onion into thin slices.
- Dice ginger, garlic, and green chilies fine.
- Fry onions in oil, followed by curry leaves, green chili, ginger garlic fry for few seconds. Add cashews fry for couple of seconds, followed by fish sauce, Brussels sprouts. Fry for five minutes until sprouts are cooked.
- Add fried anchovies, curry powder and crushed chilies. Mix it up well, turn the heat off and if you prefer to add a teaspoon of lime juice.
- Enjoy tortilla chips, naan, or any other flat bread of your preference.