This black curry roast beef packs so much smokiness and flavor in the crust. It is such an effortless way to prepare and enjoy a beef recipe that has the best of both worlds. Sri Lankan and American cooking. Classic black curry flavored smoky crust and juicy beef flavor in the middle with perfect medium rare pink, this black curry roast beef makes my mouth water by the thought of it.
This recipe turned out great without much planning ahead. I got the beef sirloin tip hoping to make a beautiful black curry beef complete with several other curries for my Christmas table. But it was not to be. Like everything so far, the beginning of the year was a little chaotic. I had to redraw my plans for Christmas. I was glad It all worked out beautifully at the end.
Why does black curry powder go with sirloin tip roast so well
Also, lemongrass, black curry powder and Worcestershire sauce go well in this recipe. It provides a nice earthy flavor and wonderful aroma. A curry with much less work in every way.
Nutty coconut aroma, hint of subtle spice and earthy flavors complement perfectly with juicy tender beef. Every bite is just oozing with flavor. This is one of the kinds of delicious black curry roast beef you truly must try for yourself.
Make a delicious black curry roast beef to celebrate your loved ones this February to give them the gift of your love in the form of a delicious meal. A wonderfully tender beef dinner to fill every bite with exotic spices that will transfer them to Sri Lanka’s southern coast in an instant.
Tips for successful black curry roast beef
This recipe is simple and easy to make. A lot of the technique goes into making a good dry spice rub. Ingredients are simple but I always like to hand crush them from whole spices in the motor and pestle. Slowly crushed and hand ground spices release so much flavor and aroma. In a cut like tip roast which is perfect to pair with curry flavors, more textured hand ground rub helps form a nice of the delicious crust, which helps to keep meat juicy and moist.
Pat dry Sirloin tip roast with paper towels, before seasoning. Massage a good amount of olive oil on the surface and coat the meat with extra heaping doses of the rub. Wrap tight in a cling wrap and allow to marinate overnight in the fridge
Tough cut of meat like sirloin tip roast can really benefit from cooking in a slow oven for a long time to help it to become tender, but do not become overdone. Start the oven on high and allow the crust to form during the first few minutes of cooking. Then turn the oven down to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and roast until the internal temperature reads 135 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the oven, cover with foil, and allow it to rest. (Medium rare doneness)
Cooling the roast down and allowing it to rest helps to reabsorb the flavors and not to lose too much of that gorgeous juice on carving.
Finally, before the recipe a snapshot of my Christmas table with the black curry roast beef as the star in just for the looks.
Black curry roast beef
- 1 Roasting pan with a rack
- 4 lb sirloin tip roast
- 2 tbsp black curry powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 1½ tbsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 inch stalk of lemongrass
- olive oil
- Chances are your tip roast is already tied with a twine, if not tie with a kitchen twine to hold its shape and even cooking in the oven
- In a motor pestle crush together black pepper salt, mustard seeds, and curry powder. mix it up well. Add garlic, lemongrass, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce. Pound everything into a paste
- Coat the roast with olive oil generously and massage seasoning all over the meat evenly. Be generous with black pepper.
- Pre heat the oven to 450 degrees F and cook the roast on the rack for 20 minutes for browning. turn the heat down to 325 degrees F. Cook until the meat thermometer reads 135 F (medium).
- Take out of the oven and cover and let the meat rest for an hour before carving.