Spicy kick with Turmeric yellow curry dressing and inspired by Sri Lankan Potato curry.
Today, when my garden is getting some much needed rain, I thought about testing out some new potato salad idea with no mayonnaise but coconut curry flavored with my favorite homemade seasoning base. It was fun trying out some great outdoor grilling and smoking recipes last week, so why not some sides this week. After all its 4th of July weekend !
Sri Lankan creamy potato curry is more of a soup style curry base made with boiling potatoes in coconut milk and spices, herbs including turmeric and curry leaves. Potato salad on the other hand is potatoes coated with yummy creamy dressing, which is something very different from Sri Lankan idea of a curry. I love the flavor of both and wanted so bad to take inspiration from both dishes to make something with my own twist. I also wanted a lower calorie version of potato salad with no mayonnaise. There are so many variations of potato salads all around the world and I sincerely hope you will come to like mine. Best of all is it has kick to it with lemongrass and curry flavors, heat with fried chilies and crunch with fried Korean anchovies.
with that let’s gather up the ingredients and start making it. This recipe is going to be very easy to make if you have turmeric yellow curry seasoning base already premade and living in your fridge. I will link my post about how to make this seasoning base few weeks back.
Click the link for the Sri Lankan Umami- Part 1
Once made, curry base can go in freezer for over 2 months and in the fridge for two weeks once you thaw it overnight.
Ingredients you will need
2 tablespoons of Turmeric yellow curry base
1 tablespoon of sliced red onions
1 cup of thick coconut cream
2 cups of boiled, peeled and cubed potatoes
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
Deep fried small Korean anchovies
Deep fried chopped curry leaves
Deep fried dry chili pepper
- Pre heat a cast iron skillet and add sliced onions. fry until golden and caramelized on the edges.
- Once caramelized, add curry base and coconut milk. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and toss to coat. gently heat, covered another 10 minutes on very low flame while gently scraping the bottom. If the sauce is too thick for your liking add little water and gently mix it in.
- Once the flavors are incorporated and starts bubbling, remove from the flame and mix in cup of chopped tomatoes and red bell peppers and spring onions. toss to coat.
- This step is optional. Garnish with fried Korean anchovies, curry leaves and chili pepper. I chose chilies because I like a little heat in my food and also I like the crunch that anchovies give. If you do not like chilies or anchovies in your potato salad please feel free to skip it.
This potato salad is best served warm and right after you make it. So if you really want to make it ahead I would recommend pre readying the ingredients but leave out tossing and re-heating it to incorporate flavors for just before serving. Our potato salad tastes creamy and rich as much as traditional salad, but we do not use any mayo make it. Creaminess comes from coconut milk and seasoning base.
Please comment below know if you like my twist of this salad / curry experience if you try it out. I would love to hear from you.
Thanks and have a great day.