Looking for a one pot easy vegetable curry recipe that is creamy, delicious and goes perfectly well with rice or pasta? Look no further than this Sri Lankan style yellow coconut curry with vegetables. This vegetable curry recipe looks and feels a lot like creamy vegetable korma but can be made completely nut free and a vegan curry. For a Sri Lankan inspired yellow curry that is very mild and kid friendly dinner option, this yellow curry is perfect for busy weeknights when you want a healthy meal.Jump to Recipe
Sri Lankan yellow curry mix has more turmeric and coriander in it than cumin. That goes well with coconut milk/ cream. The hint of aroma from fennel and cinnamon with citrus notes, fresh scent from curry leaves and pandan has a nice warm flavor sensation that wraps vegetables and rice, presenting a binge worthy morsel. There aren’t many foods that are as satisfying as this. It is ultimate comfort food for this Sri Lankan food lovers.
This vegetable curry recipe with yellow curry mix is a completely comfort food dinner for my family. There are several different vegetable options to use in it, however, my favorite combination always is carrots, peppers, and courgettes. Final curry comes out to be much more creamy curry whenever I add courgette to my vegetable curry recipe.
A yellow curry sauce can be made with coconut cream, cashews or peanuts and cream cheese with rice cooked in the curry itself, much like Rice-a-Roni like dish. I also like the option of making it with heavy cream and cream cheese combination whenever my meal plans for the week aren’t plant based or vegan. Both vegetable curry recipes turn out to be equally delicious.
Variations of making creamy yellow vegetable curry recipe
Hire a photographer who will do a custom food photography for your blog
My inspiration to make creamier version of vegetable curry recipe comes from my mother’s version of the same with leaves from hummingbird tree. Infused flavor from leaves of hummingbird tree just makes the vegetable curry sauce delicious. Serving hummingbird leaves curry with steaming white rice the combination is simple divine.
Any vegetable curry recipes in the picture gallery can be prepared completely mild with just yellow curry powder or made with a chili oil tempering for a much spicy version. Beauty of this vegetable curry recipe is it being highly customizable.
Creamy vegetable curry recipe
- 2 small carrots diced
- red bell pepper diced
- green bell pepper diced
- 2 green zucchinis diced
- 1 small potato diced
- 1/2 cup of cashews optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger minced
- 1 green chili optional
- 10 curry leaves
- 4 shallots or a small red onion diced
- sea salt to taste
- 1 tbsp of cream cheese for non-vegan curry/optional
- Pinch Sri Lankan black curry powder optional
- 1 14- ounce can of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Rinse and prep vegetables, onions, green chilies. (Green chilies optional)
- Soak cashews and grind them to a fine paste if you are using them. Finely mince ginger and garlic.
- Heat olive oil and fry onions, ginger, garlic, green chili, and curry leaves. Add stick of cinnamon and fenugreek seeds.
- Add the vegetables and fry for five minutes, add yellow curry powder and black curry powder. stir the curry powder in and add coconut milk. cover and cook until vegetables become tender.
- If using, add cashew paste and cream cheese once the vegetables become soft bit firm and simmer for an additional five minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick. turn the heat off and sprinkle a pinch of black curry powder for garnishing.
From vegetable curry to a curry rice dinner
- Cook two cups of white basmati rice in a pot about 80% of the way (almost done, but firm). Remove from pot, drain the excess water out.
- Measure out an approximate cup and a half of curry sauce and separate vegetables into a separate bowl.
- Layer in the rice and curry sauce alternatively in the same pot the rice was cooked and place the cover back. Allow the rice to finish cooking under low heat, absorbing the flavor.
- Once the curry sauce is absorbed and rice finishes cooking mix in the vegetables. Serve immediately.
- Add a tablespoon of cream cheese for extra creamy bubbly sauce.
- Add soaked cashews to make a curry with nutty aroma and flavor.
- Add a diced chicken breast and half a teaspoon of red chili powder to add extra proteins.
- Add a tempering with sliced dry red chili, teaspoon of sliced ginger and garlic and a shallot for extra spicy curry
More on making mild and creamy yellow curry
Sri Lankan mild yellow curry is the way to go if you are a beginner on the curry journey and is a little overwhelmed by the number of ingredients and steps required. I am writing my blog to tell you that it doesn’t have to be. Making curries is easy because they are customizable. They can be customized to flavors you like to eat.
What motivated me to start a curry recipe blog and share information about Sri Lankan curries and curry-based meals is talking to some friends. I realized there are many who wanted to try out some curries but didn’t know where to begin. My goal is to give as much insight as I can into the taste, aroma, pairings, and information about curry mix powders that go into my own curries.
This is a perfect beginner easy vegetable curry recipe based on mild curry mix powder that includes turmeric, coriander, little bit of fennel and cinnamon. It is a curry that has a very mild taste with a hint of turmeric in it. I love and use foolproof customizable curry recipes all the time when I am in a hurry and lack motivation to cook a complicated dinner. We all have such days.
I hope this vegetable curry recipe will become a part of your home too, like it has in mine. Thank you for reading my blog.
Trying to create this vegetable curry recipe and related clips and videos I totally start appreciating the need of having some help with getting excellent quality food photos. As a blogger who is trying to create this website full time and take care of my family it has been a blessing to find help in good services. I use them when things do get overwhelming occasionally.
Few of my yellow curry recipes….
Updated from 1/6/21
This post contains sponsored and affiliated links that will earn me small margin if I qualify