It is soup season and what better time to shuffle up some butternut soup than Halloween. Fall, thanksgiving, falling leaves chilly weather, Halloween, and pumpkins. They just were calling the name of butternut soup for me. After being on a ketogenic low carb diet for some time, I have just fallen in love with the low carb way of eating and lifestyle.
But eating conventioanl butternut squash soup under a keto umbrella is very tricky because it just does not work with all the carbohydrates in the traditional recipe. I had to find a way to increase the amount of fiber and protein in the traditional recipe to make it work. That is how this delicious golden glossy and comforting butternut squash soup was born.
What’s more, this low carb helathy butternut squash soup is something I constantly pair into my weekly meals on my weight loss journey.
How my low carb butternut squash soup is healthier
I love a comforting and warming spiced up classic butternut squash soup any day. Just like Gordon Ramsay made it, simple and delicious. Until I couldn’t anymore. I need to find a method that is healthier for me. All the benefits of a healthier butternut squash along with peppers and celery, but more.
The version I am giving today is so much more fragrant and just as creamy and satisfying. It loads flavors from Sri Lankan yellow curry spice blend. Moreover, it is a curried version of butternut soup that has no garlic, no nutmeg, or no stock.
Instead, it is loaded with real vegetables, and shredded creamed coconut along with fennel in the mildly spicy yellow curry powder bring forward all the wonderful creaminess and sweetness of the squash to next level. Infused flavors of ginger and turmeric give subtle warm heat with a most appetizing golden orange color.
Hard to imagine a butternut squash soup that is low carb? Make it this way and all the fiber from vegetables and coconut will bring the net carb level lower while adding healthy vitamins and minerals. Serve it with sliced up roast chicken for added protein to make this a complete fall heartwarming comfort soup.
Low carb keto friendly butternut squash soup
- Half a cup of chopped bell pepper
- half a cup of diced red onion
- three stalks of celery sliced
- one small butternut squash
- one teaspoon of yellow curry powder
- half a teaspoon extra turmeric powder
- one or two teaspoons of salt to your taste
- one inch piece of ginger
- 2 inch piece of cinnamon
- 2 cups of water
- half a cup of thick coconut cream.
- pinch of crushed pepper and mustard seeds
- heat a tablespoon of oil in a stock pot and add cinnamon stick and ginger. fry for couple of minutes and pick the ginger out. Add onion, celery and pepper and sauté for a minute. Add curry powders, salt, pepper and mustard seeds and butternut squash. give it a toss and add water cook until vegetables become soft. mash with a potato masher and add coconut cream. bring everything back to a gentle simmer and cook until oil begins to separate. Turn the heat off and garnish with a couple of sliced curry leaves while still hot.
- To make it as low carb as possible, I added celery and a cup of coconut meat. Both ingredients add extra fiber to the meal. Puree the coconut meat as much as possible with a high-speed blender before adding it to the soup and cook for 15 minutes longer.