Today, when my garden is getting some much needed rain, I thought about testing out some new potato salad idea with no mayonnaise but coconut curry flavored with my favorite homemade seasoning base. It was fun trying out some great outdoor grilling and smoking recipes last week, so why not some sides this week. After all its 4th of July weekend !
Sri Lankan creamy potato curry is more of a soup style curry base made with boiling potatoes in coconut milk and spices, herbs including turmeric and curry leaves. Potato salad on the other hand is potatoes coated with yummy creamy dressing, which is something very different from Sri Lankan idea of a curry. I love the flavor of both and wanted so bad to take inspiration from both dishes to make something with my own twist. I also wanted a lower calorie version of potato salad with no mayonnaise. There are so many variations of potato salads all around the world and I sincerely hope you will come to like mine. Best of all is it has kick to it with lemongrass and curry flavors, heat with fried chilies and crunch with fried Korean anchovies.
with that let’s gather up the ingredients and start making it. This recipe is going to be very easy to make if you have turmeric yellow curry seasoning base already premade and living in your fridge. I will link my post about how to make this seasoning base few weeks back.
Click the link for the Sri Lankan Umami- Part 1
Once made, curry base can go in freezer for over 2 months and in the fridge for two weeks once you thaw it overnight.
This potato salad is best served warm and right after you make it. So if you really want to make it ahead I would recommend pre readying the ingredients but leave out tossing and re-heating it to incorporate flavors for just before serving. Our potato salad tastes creamy and rich as much as traditional salad, but we do not use any mayo make it. Creaminess comes from coconut milk and seasoning base.
Please comment below know if you like my twist of this salad / curry experience if you try it out. I would love to hear from you.
Thanks and have a great day.
Potato Salad in curry salad dressingTweet
Potato salad in curry salad dressing
- 2 tbsp yellow curry seasoning base
- 1 tbsp diced red onion
- 1 cup thick coconut cream
- 2 cups boiled peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
For The Salad
- ½ cup fried dry anchovies
- 2 tbsp fried curry leaves
- 2 fried dry red peppers
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced tomato
- ¼ cup sliced spring onions
Making Curry Salad Dressing
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan over high and caramelize onions in one tablespoon of coconut oil. color should be light golden on the edges
- Add the curry base and reduce the heat to medium low. warm and break up the curry base up
- add coconut milk and gently bring up to simmer mixing and scraping the bottom to prevent burning. if the sauce is too thick to your liking add little more coconut milk
- add boiled potatoes and toss to coat. Gently cook the potatoes in the sauce for five minutes to warm them up.
Finishing touches ( Optional but highly recommended)
- Remove Potato salad from the flame and pour in to a serving bowl
- Add tomatoes ,bell pepper and spring onions, mix in gently to coat vegetables in sauce
- Garnish with fried anchovies, curry leaves and dry red peppers
- Serve warm